Skip to content
Free meals for school children during half term

The council will be giving out free meals to children during the October half term (26 - 30 October)

Find out more

When is a licence required?

To run a business selling pet animals, you need a licence from us. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.

No person may operate a pet shop in Stevenage without first obtaining a licence from us.

Licences for pet shops may be issued provided the applicant is not disqualified under any of the following acts:

  • the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • the Protection of Animals (Cruelty to Dogs) (Scotland) Act 1934
  • the Animal Welfare Act 2006

Licence conditions

We must regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • Animals will be kept in suitable accommodation in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
  • Adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals.
  • Any mammalian animals will not be sold too young.
  • Steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals.
  • Adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

Where a licence is granted it will expire on 31 December of the same year and must be renewed before that date if the premises are to continue as a pet shop.

How much does a licence cost?

See our Environmental Health Fees and Charges.

How do I apply for a licence?

You can apply online at the GOV.UK website.

You can

When will my application be processed?

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 4 working days.

We will determine your application within 28 days. 

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How do I appeal?

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates but please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates court.

Environmental Health and Licensing

Daneshill House

01438 242908 / 242916

© 2020 Stevenage Borough Council