Skip to content
Free meals for school children during half term

The council will be giving out free meals to children during the October half term (26 - 30 October)

Find out more

When is a licence required?

A person who wishes to keep an animal listed in the Schedule of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act (as amended) 1976, must first obtain a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence from us.

In order to be eligible to apply, you must be over the age of 18 and not be disqualified under the Act from keeping a dangerous wild animal.

Licences are valid from the date of issue and remain in force for 2 years thereafter. The licence must be renewed prior to the expiry date of the previous licence. It is an offence to keep a dangerous wild animal without a licence from us.

Licence Conditions

Given the unique nature of these licences, we will impose specific conditions relating to the individual premises based on the particular species of animal housed.

The Licence will specify the number of each species allowed to be kept under the authority of the licence and will specify the premises where any animal concerned will normally be held.

In order to determine an application, an independent inspection of the animals and premises will be carried out by a suitably experienced veterinary surgeon.

The applicant will need to demonstrate that suitable accommodation and care can be provided and that the keeping of the animals would not endanger public safety or create a public nuisance.

How much does a licence cost?

See our Environmental Health Fees and Charges

How do I apply for a licence?

Please complete an application form.

When will my application be processed?

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 4 working days.

We will determine your application within 28 days.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

How do I appeal?

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates but please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates court.

Environmental Health and Licensing

Daneshill House

01438 242908 / 242916

© 2020 Stevenage Borough Council