The Department for Transport published guidance on safe travel and safe transport operations following the publication of the government’s roadmap.
The public has been asked to continue to work from home if they can and, if this is not possible, urged to consider cycling, walking or driving before using public transport.
For those who have to use public transport, the guidance for passengers on how to travel safely recommends:
- keeping 2 metres apart from others wherever possible;
- wearing a face covering if you can;
- using contactless payment where possible;
- avoiding rush hour travel where feasible;
- washing or sanitising your hands as soon as possible before and after travel; and
- following advice from staff and being considerate to others
The guidance recognises that there will be times and some settings on public transport where social distancing is not possible. It outlines how people should minimise the duration of this, and take all necessary steps to observe these measures where possible.