Before the licence is granted the applicant must show the following:
- they are a fit and proper person to hold a licence
- they are medically fit
- they have held a full driver's licence (not a provisional) for a period of 2 years
- they must have passed the police criminality check carried out by the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) at least every three years to ensure safety to the public
The following documentation should be provided:
- the completed application form
- the original DVLA driving licence showing the current address
- passport or birth certificate
- two colour passport type photographs taken within the last month
the correct fee (see Taxi Licensing Fees and Charges on the right)
Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976
The council is responsible for the licensing of vehicles, drivers and private hire operators in accordance with the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.
The Borough Council must carry out its licensing function whilst ensuring that a safe and quality service is provided to all. To aid with this function, the Licensing Department recently undertook a review of its policies and conditions. Following its consultation in 2008, this document was formally adopted by the General Purposes Committee on the 11 March 2009. To view the licensing conditions and our police statement on convictions for licensing of Hackney Carriage and private hire drivers please use the link on the right.
For further information and / or advice please contact us using the online enquiry form on the right.