Measures to protect sites from illegal incursions

Private land owners are responsible for the removal of unauthorised encampments on their land.

Being the victim of unauthorised access onto your land can be both a major nuisance as well as a costly experience, particularly in having to clear up any waste that is usually left behind.

The site protection measures below will not guarantee unauthorised access, but will make your land less inviting.

Having either a mound or a ditch makes it difficult for a vehicle and trailer/caravan to gain access without risking damage to the vehicles. It can also help in limiting joy-riders vehicles being abandoned on your land.

Mounds are generally formed using rubble/subsoil as a base, with a suitable topsoil finish for either grass seeding/planting.

A strong, robust gate will help deter access. The gate will need to be able to be secured with a toughened padlock. Metal gates/barriers are more desirable than wooden gates.

Height Barrier
toughened steel padlocks and ‘boxing’ in the connection, you will make it more difficult for access to be gained. If this is coupled with a metal field gate it will also help to restrict access for joy-riders etc.

Fencing/Barriers (> 1.8m)
There are many different types of fencing available.  The most robust is steel palisade.
Euroguard fencing is also a strong barrier.  Wooden close-board fencing generally looks better but is more vulnerable to damage and vandalism.

Fencing/Barriers (<1m)
Metal posts and rails are more robust than similar wooden styles. A secured height barrier will restrict access to vehicles over 1.8m high. By also using

Wooden/metal/concrete posts will deter informal access, but will not be sufficient to deter those more intent on gaining access.

Guidance Notes

Travellers are coming onto my property, what can I do to stop them?
Unfortunately there is little you can do to stop them coming onto your land unless you can obstruct the entry point.

The travellers are aggressive and threatening, what can I do?
It is advisable to contact the Police who will be available to stop any breach of the peace.

Who is responsible for getting the travellers removed from my land?
As the landowner, you are responsible.

What legislation can I use to remove the travellers from my property?
It is advisable to speak to your solicitors but Common Law/ Part 55 Civil Procedures Rules can be utilised.

Where can I get some advice on how to deal with the travellers?
Contact the council on 01438 242242.

My business is being affected by the traveller encampment, what can I do?
Contact the council on 01438 242242 for advice.

How can the council help?
With your written authorisation the Council may be able to assist you with removing the travellers from your land. The Council will liaise with the Police and travellers to agree any toleration period in which the travellers will be allowed to settle. The Council will then agree with the Police any actions to be taken and will work with the landowner / Police to issue eviction notices to the travellers, if it’s felt necessary.

How can the Police help?
The Police will assist at any time if there is a breach of the peace. They will liaise with the Council to agree any appropriate action necessary, if it is felt early eviction is necessary. If you would like further information or advice from the Police about traveller incursions please call 101 - the Police non-emergency number. If you feel threatened or require immediate assistance ring 999.

Can I employ a company to assist in removing the travellers?
Please speak to your solicitor about this, you may be able to employ bailiffs to assist you with removing the travellers.

The travellers have vacated my land but left a lot of mess, whose responsibility is it to get it removed?
As the landowner you are responsible for the removal of any waste.

Who can remove the waste left by the travellers?
Any licensed waste contractor can remove the waste, unless it is human waste, in which case a specialist contractor will need to be employed.