Why worry about asbestos in the home?

If your property is more than 20 years old, it's possible that it contains materials made from asbestos.

Common locations are listed below but there may be others in your home - so if in doubt leave well alone and seek expert help. Phone the Environmental Protection Section on the telephone number below.

This advice is aimed at house holders. The HSE have produced a number of leaflets which are more appropriate for businesses.

Common locations of asbestos:

  • asbestos cement on garage or shed roofs
  • asbestos cement shed and garage wall panels
  • asbestos cement drain pipes
  • asbestos cement or Insulation board soffit, infill panels and partitions
  • asbestos cement on the side of bath panels.
  • Artex ceilings
  • Floor tiles
  • Loft: cement water tanks 

If your home is rented, your landlord may have relevant information.

What to do if you have asbestos in your home

  • The general rule is to always leave asbestos alone, it's usually safe unless it's damaged or disturbed.
  • Paint indoor materials with an alkali resistant paint such as PVA emulsion, and never sand, drill or saw asbestos materials.
  • Always seek advice before thinking of removing asbestos  Do not attempt to remove asbestos lagging, spray coatings or large areas of insulation board by yourself as these materials can only be safely removed by a licensed contractor.
  • Sometimes it will be necessary to take a sample, for example to identify the type of asbestos.

Asbestos do's and don'ts

  • Don't panic if you think you have asbestos in your home - it's usually only a problem if it's disturbed.
  • Do treat asbestos with respect.
  • Don't drill, saw or disturb materials that contain asbestos.
  • Do seek advice if you think you've got a problem with asbestos in your home.

Contact details

Environmental Health & Licensing
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242908 / 242916