Winter Weather

Vehicular obstruction of dropped kerbs

Since August 2009 Civil Enforcement Officers have been enforcing vehicular obstruction of dropped kerbs.

The dropped kerbs are those which allow vehicles to enter property adjacent to the public highway and those dropped kerbs at pedestrian crossing points on the highway.

A vehicle causes an obstruction if any wheel is adjacent to the transition kerb (the sloping kerb which joins the full height kerb to the dropped kerb level with the road surface) or the dropped kerb.

Anyone wishing to report a dropped kerb obstruction should contact the parking office Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm on 01279 655261 and a Civil Enforcement Officer will attend to issue a penalty charge notice if the criteria is met.

Please note that Civil Enforcement Officers do not have the power to remove any vehicle committing the offence.

The penalty charge for the offence is £70 reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days.

It is now possible for residents and businesses to apply for a white “H-bar” access marking to be painted at the entrance to their property. This does not alter the enforceability of your dropped kerb, but does help drivers to avoid parking inappropriately in the first place. Each site has to be visited by an engineer to ensure that the marking is appropriate and determine its correct positioning, in addition to administrative costs and the painting itself. This means we have to charge £100 to cover these expenses before the marking can be installed. 

If you would like to apply for an access marking to be placed outside your property, please complete an online form. Alternatively, you can download an application form and return it by post to the address on the form or via email to

The lining works are weather permitting therefore if we accepted your application between November and March please expect significant delays.

Contact details

01279 655261