What's it all about?
When you buy a house, your Solicitor will make a search of the Council's records to ensure there are no hidden surprises, such a motorway planned for the bottom of your garden or outstanding notices requiring you to take action to remedy an earlier wrong doing.
Please note the information given in a search relates to the property the subject of the search and not other properties in the vicinity of the property.
Official local land charge searches
The Local Land Charge Section carries out all official searches covered by the Local Land charges Act 1975, guaranteeing comprehensive replies to the official LLC1 and CON29 enquiries.
The Law Society, which regulates Solicitors, encourages the use of Official Searches and considers that alternative personal searches of the statutory register, disclosing only limited information, should only be undertaken with the approval of the client when time does not permit Official Searches.
The Search will be in two parts:-
LLC1 - this first part, the Official Certificate of Search Form , deals with all the registerable charges, for example financial charges (registered against the property by the local authority), improvement grants, tree preservation orders, conditional planning consents and agreements.
CON29 - the second part, called Enquiries of Local Authorities Form deals with issues such as road schemes, the planning history of the property and various notices which affect the property.
The CON 29 enquiries questionnaire, which forms part of the Official Search, contains many 'Warning' questions, the answers to which you will not find on any of the statutory registers.
Examples of the information only to be found by submitting a CON 29 are given below:-
- Compulsory Purchase Orders
- proposed Tree Preservation Orders
- many informal notices under planning and highways laws not found on any register
- road proposals or schemes (including road widening)
- proposed enforcement action or breach of conditions notices.
The only way to receive this information is to submit the Official LLC1 and CON 29 forms.
Personal searchers are not given, or entitled to receive, all the information necessary to answer all the questions on the CON 29, and any information they do obtain is not covered by Section 10(3) of the Local Land Charges Act 1975 which relates to compensation for loss. The Council's insurers will only cover information given in Official Searches carried out by Council staff.
Unique benefits of Stevenage Borough Council official searches
- Competitive price - £66* residential one of the lowest in Hertfordshire
- Fast response - 4 working days or less for residential
- No plan? - No Problem! - We can complete residential searches without
- Form free searches - Apply by letter and we will supply and complete the Official Forms
- Free copy information - of any documents revealed in a residential Official Search (such as planning permissions, building regulations or agreements etc.)
- Best information - All replies completed by Council experts
- Accurate - Colour Public Highway Plans direct from Hertfordshire Highways
- No charge - for follow up enquiries on Official Searches
How to request an official search
We offer four choices for customers:
- Traditional Forms - send forms LLC1 and CON29 via post or DX (There are full instructions for completion on the Local Land Charge Search forms). Your Solicitor will have these forms or you can buy them from law stationers.
- Form free - Simply send a letter with your reference, the full postal address of the property to be Searched, and a cheque - let us do the paperwork for you!
- Electronic - Received through the National Land Information Service (NLIS) – Conveyancers and Solicitors will be aware of this option.
- Online - Simply e-mail the address to:
Then – send the cheque in the DX to:
Land charges, DX 6022 Stevenage 1
Or post to Daneshill House
We – start the search on receipt of the e-mail, complete the forms and e-mail the result back to you.
|Highways (inc. £12 HCC fee)||£21
Commercial fees and charges
|Highways (inc. £12 HCC fee)||£21
|LLC1 for all property||£21
| || || Fee
|CON29 Optional|| ||
|Residential and Commercial||Q4||£9
| ||Q6 to 21||£3
| ||Q22 (inc £14 HCC Fee)||£17
|Other Questions|| ||
|Residential and Commercial|| ||£9
|Additional Parcels of Land||For full Official Search or all component data packs ordered||£9
| ||For each individual question on con29R ||£1
| ||or for each con29O optional question||£1
|Personal Search Fee||Under Environmental Information Regulations ||
Our commitment to you
We aim to return all Official Searches in 3 working days and in any case within 5 working days.
If you have a specific deadline, please contact us as we will always try to meet your needs.
Other types of searches undertaken in the house buying process
Drainage water searches
Thames Water look after the network of public sewers in the borough of Stevenage. If you require further information, please contact the company on (0118) 923 6656 or www.twsearches.co.uk
Land Registry Searches
Land Registry deals with ownership of property. If you require further information, please contact the Stevenage Land Registry (01438) 788889 or visit their website at www.landregistry.gov.uk