Illegal street trading

Monitoring and regulation of street traders to ensure that trading is only taking place with consent from the Council. Dealing with reported instances of unlicensed street trading.

Our policy is to oppose all street trading other than from areas approved by the Council where highway safety will not be impaired. For such sites street trader's consent must be obtained from the appropriate Council.

The erection of signs or stalls for the sale of produce within the highway, including grass verges, is illegal. However, produce can be sold from the land on which it is grown, but signs advertising such facilities must be clear of the highway and may require Planning Permission. Any unlicensed use of the highway for tables and chairs is an obstruction and may be dealt with by the police.

These are the main types of permission which may have to be obtained before tables and chairs may be placed on a part of the highway:

Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent may be required from the Council for the use of the land or building for a cafe. There is a fee for this and planning approval must have been granted before an application will be considered by the Council.

In the Town Centre a licence will be required, from the Town Centre Management Company, to put tables and chairs out on a public highway, whether it be on the street or a pavement or a pedestrian area. There is a fee for this, payable before a licence can be issued.


Report online

Suspected illegal street trading

Contact details

Environmental Health and Licensing
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House
01438 242908 / 242916