Sex shop and cinema licence

To run a sex shop - ie any premises selling sex toys, books or videos - you may need a licence from the local authority. To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you also need a licence from the local authority.  

Licence Conditions

An applicant:

  • must be at least 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.

Service Standards

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 4 working days.

We will determine your application within 2 months.

Licence Fees and Charges

The authority will charge the following fee according to your application type:

Type of Licence Cost 
Sex Cinema Licence £2,817
Sex Shop Licence £2,817
Licence Renewal £559
Transfer Charge £461
Variation £414

This fee can be paid on-line to process your application. The fee is the same whether you apply on-line or by post ( or UK Welcomes does not charge an additional fee for on-line applications).

Application Evaluation Process

Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached.

Applications must contain the applicant's name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age, plus the address of the premises.

Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.


Appeals can be made to the Magistrates’ Court within 21 days of the refusal of a licence application, or if you are aggrieved by any condition attached to the licence.


Apply online

Licence Application for Sex establishment

Notice of changes to your existing Sex establishment licence


Licence Application for Sex establishment

Renewal of Sex establishment licence

Useful links

Environmental Health fees & charges

Contact details

Environmental Health and Licensing
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House