Temporary event notice

Subject to certain limitations, any individual (a premises user) who wants to use a premises for one or more temporary licensable activities may advise us of the event(s) by virtue of a temporary event notice (TEN).

The 'licensable activities' include one or more of the following:

  • The retail sale and supply of alcohol
  • Provision of regulated entertainment (this includes public entertainment, theatre, cinema, and indoor sports)
  • The provision of late night refreshments between 11pm and 5am.

A TEN may be given in respect of any premises. This includes those that are not currently licensed and / or those licensed premises that want to temporarily derogate from their licence conditions for a temporary period.

Who can give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)?

Subject to the following limitations, any individual aged 18 years or over may give a temporary event notice.

The limitations directly imposed on the use of TENs by the 2003 Act are:

  • The number of times the 'premises user' may give a TEN is limited to 50 times a year for a personal licence holder and five times per year for a non-personal licence holder;
  • The number of times a TEN may be given in respect of any particular premises is limited to 12 times in a calendar year;
  • The maximum aggregate duration of the periods covered by TENs at any individual premises limited to 15 days;
  • The length of time a temporary event may last is limited to 96 hours;
  • There must be at least 24 hours between different events;
  • and the scale of the event in terms of the maximum number of people permitted to attend at any one time is limited to no more than 499.

TEN’s in excess of the above permutations cannot be processed.

Applicants intending to hold events where the number of TEN’s permitted have been exceeded will need to apply for either a personal licence, a premises licence or a club premises certificate.

Licence conditions

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given.

The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should state:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters:
    • details of the licensable activities
    • the event period
    • the times when during that period the activities will take place
    • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
    • any other required matters
    • any other required information

Service standards

We will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a signed copy of the TEN to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received, or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice is received is not a working day.

This acknowledgement is your proof that the notice has been properly served.

Licence fees and charges

Temporary Event Notice - £21.00

Theft, loss etc. of Temporary Event Notice - £10.50

Application evaluation process

Do I need to give notice?

If you want to hold a temporary 'licensable activity' anywhere in Stevenage at any premises (including any place, area, or private land), you must serve the Council with a temporary event notice (TEN) at least ten working days before the event.

Licensable activities are:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Supplying alcohol as, or on behalf of, a club
  • Providing public regulated entertainment
  • Providing late night refreshment between 11pm and 5am.

You must also give a copy of the notice to the police at least ten working days before the event.

You must be at least 18 years old to give a TEN and you can only do so up to five times a year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give up to 50 TENs a year. A company cannot apply for a TEN - only an individual over 18 may apply.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time (which includes staff and persons helping to run the event) and last no more than 96 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

No premises can be used to provide for more than 12 temporary events in one calendar year.

What information must I provide in the notice?

We require:

  1. Details of the premises user
  2. Details of the premises that will be used
  3. The date of the activities
  4. The times that the activities will take place
  5. The maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  6. If alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of 
  7. Any other information we require
  8. If your notice is for an open-air event, you will need to provide a plan showing the area to be covered by the TEN. This can be by grid reference.

How do I apply?

You can apply online or by post to Stevenage Borough Council, Daneshill House, Danestrete, Stevenage, SG1 1HN.


The fee is for processing the application and no fee is charged for enforcement. There are no additional costs attached to a TEN. Cheques should be made payable to Stevenage Borough Council.

Are there inspections / assessments?

There are rarely inspections for a TEN, however, if we receive a complaint, our duty officers may want to inspect your event to investigate the complaint. You must not obstruct police or council officers who have a right of entry.

How long does it take to make a decision and give permission?

As well as serving us with a notice, you must also serve the police. If the police believe the event is unsuitable, they can object to both you and the Council. They must do this within 48 hours of receiving the temporary event notice.

If there are objections to the notice, we must hold a hearing. If we consider it necessary to prevent crime, we can issue a notice to stop the event going ahead. This is called a counter notice.

We must make a decision at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

The police can also modify a TEN with your consent. In this case, their objection will be classed as withdrawn and your TEN becomes valid in the modified form.

We can issue a counter notice if your temporary event will exceed the number allowed in a premises in a year or if it will exceed the number of TENs you can serve a year. In this case there will be no appeal.

If I'm turned down how do I appeal?

Firstly, please contact the Council to see if we can resolve the issue.

How long does the Temporary Events Notice last, and how do I renew it?

The notice lasts for up to 96 hours, depending on the details provided in the application.  You cannot renew a TEN; you need to serve a new notice for each temporary event.

How do I tell you about a change of circumstances?

Because of the short timescales involved, it is unlikely there will be any change in circumstances. However, if there are changes, you will need to tell the police and the Council as soon as possible.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your TEN is valid if you have not heard from either the Chief Officer of Hertfordshire Police or the Council within 48 hours us receiving the TEN.


If, as a result of police objections, we issue a counter notice, you can appeal against this decision.

You can do so by appealing in writing to the local Magistrate's Court at the following address within 21 days of the decision, but no later than five working days before the planned event.

Stevenage Magistrates Court


Apply online

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice


Temporary Event Notice Application

Contact details

Environmental Health and Licensing
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242908

Useful Links

Department for Culture, Media and Sport

BIIAB - Accredited personal licence qualification provider

Licensing Committee