Alcohol and entertainment licences

The Licensing Act 2003 establishes a single integrated system for the licensing of premises and individuals involved in 'licensable activities'.

The 'licensable activities' include:

  • The sale and supply of alcohol
  • The provision of regulated entertainment(s); and
  • The provision of late night refreshment.

If you undertake / provide any "licensable activity" you may need one or more of the following authorisations under the Licensing Act 2003.

  • Premises licence
    This is required for any premises where licensable activities take place.
  • Personal licence
    This is required where an individual wants to supply, or allow the supply of alcohol at premises that already holds a premises licence. There are different rules for the supply of alcohol under a club premises certificate or temporary event notice.
  • Club premises certificate
    These certificates authorise "qualifying clubs" to use club premises for "qualifying club activities".
  • Temporary event notice
    This may be used on a limited basis for temporary events involving licensable activities at premises that do not have a premises licence
  • Responsible authorities
    List of authorities who must be consulted about any application made under the Licensing Act 2003.
  • Licensing Act 2003
    Details about the council's responsibilities under the Licensing Act 2003 and the authorities associated Licensing Policy.