Housing Related Support (formerly known as Supporting People)

What is housing related support?

Housing related support is a scheme run by Hertfordshire County Council, and it funds services which provide housing-related support. Its aim is to prevent homelessness and help people do things for themselves so that they can continue living at home, rather than go into hospital or residential care.

This support can be tailored to individual needs and may include:

  • Help to get the right welfare benefits
  • Helping you feel safe in your own home
  • Helping you to develop life skills such as cooking and cleaning
  • Helping you with social skills, e.g. interaction with neighbours, involvement in social activities
  • Helping you deal with landlords and a range of professionals
  • Accessing health care services such as a doctor or dentist
  • Assistance with personal budgeting to help you stay where they live
  • Support with neighbour disputes
  • Support with moving to more independent accommodation
  • Advice on home improvements and grants to help you stay in their your home, through Home Improvement agencies
  • Community alarms and response services.

Who can get help

  • Older people
  • People with a physical disability or sensory need
  • People with a learning disability
  • People with mental health problems
  • People who have experienced or are at risk of domestic violence
  • People with drug or alcohol misuse problems
  • Young people (16+) in need of support
  • Teenage parents
  • Homeless people or those at risk of homelessness
  • Offenders
  • People with HIV or AIDS
  • Gypsies and Travellers
  • Refugees with leave to stay in the country.

How can I access a service?

You can apply for housing-related support in a number of ways, including:

Each of the services listed in the Supporting People directory of services explains who to make a referral through and includes contact details.

Herts County Council - Adult Care, how to get support


Useful links

Support for Adults A-Z

Stevenage Borough Council is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Related pages

Housing information and advice