Home improvement grants and loans

A grant or loan may be available to owner-occupiers to pay for repairs, improvements, energy. Eligibility is dependent on the age of the applicant and receipt of certain income or related benefits.

All of these grants and loans are discretionary and there is a very limited budget. Enquiries will be prioritised according to the urgency of the works and the applicant's individual circumstances. The availability of these grants/loans may be withdrawn at any time.

A brief outline of the help that is available is given below. For more detailed information, see our Private Sector Housing Renewal Policy or contact Environmental Health.

Home improvement loans

A Home Improvement Loan may be offered for works to remove a significant risk to the health, safety or welfare of the occupants (a Category 1 hazard under the Housing Act 2004).

To qualify, you must have owned and lived in your home for at least 1 year and be in receipt of a qualifying means-tested benefit.

The loan must be repaid in full when you move. 

Minor works grants

A minor works grant may be available to help owner occupiers carry out small repairs where there is an imminent risk to the health, safety or welfare of the occupants AND the applicant is in receipt of a qualifying means tested benefit.

You must repay the grant in full if you move within 10 years.

Disabled Facilities grant for a private property

The Disabled Facilities grant scheme provides financial assistance towards the cost of essential adaptation work to make a house suitable for a disabled person.

Further information

For further information you can contact Environmental Health and see the Housing Grants and Loans frequently asked questions.

Apply online

Home improvement grant enquiry


Private Sector Housing Renewal Policy

Related pages

Housing grants and loans FAQs

Home improvement grants  - disabled facilities grant

Public Health - housing

Contact details

Environmental Health and Licensing
Daneshill House

01438 242908 / 242916