Home Improvement Grants - Disabled Facilities Grant

You can apply for a grant if you are:

  • a tenant or owner of a property
  • a landlord on behalf of a disabled tenant

The person who applies for the grant does not have to be the disabled person who needs the adaptations, but whoever applies for the grant must produce a certificate of ownership or tenancy.

However, the person applying for the grant will be asked to sign a certificate stating that the disabled person will occupy the home being adapted for at least five years. The time can be shorter because of the disabled persons health or other relevant factors.

What type of work is eligible for a disabled facilities grant?

Disabled facilities grants are awarded for essential adaptations to give a disabled person better freedom of movement around the house. This work includes:

  • widening doors or installing ramps
  • providing a specially adapted room in which it is safe to leave a disabled person unattended
  • installing a stair lift so there is better access to a bathroom, kitchen, or bedroom
  • installing a downstairs bathroom
  • improving or installing a heating system which is suitable for the disabled person
  • adapting heating or lighting controls so that they are easier to use by a disabled person

Does the council have to give me a disabled facilities grant?

The council can refuse a grant if it believes the scheme does not fit these criteria:

  • necessary
  • appropriate


  • reasonable
  • practicable
  • feasible

An occupational therapist will usually be consulted to ensure the work is necessary and appropriate for the disabled person.

How is the disabled facilities grant calculated?

The grant is means tested to ensure that those in the most need get the most help. This will be determined by the income and capital of:

  • the disabled person
  • the disabled person's spouse or partner
  • the parents of a disabled person, if aged under 19

It will take into account:

  • a person's average weekly income
  • any savings above a set amount

Some benefits, especially those that recognise a person's disability are not included.

If your resources are less than your assessed basic needs you will be given a full grant. You will also qualify for a full grant if you are in receipt of certain means tested benefits.

If your resources are more than your assessed needs you may be eligible for a grant towards the cost of work, however, in some cases you may be assessed as being able to pay for the work yourself. If you are on income support or income based job seekers allowance the grant will normally cover the full cost of eligible works.

How do I apply for a disabled facilities grant?

The works that we can grant aid must be assessed by the Hertfordshire County Council occupational therapist. To arrange this, contact Hertfordshire County Council on 0300 1234042 to ask for an assessment by an occupational therapist.

If you think that you may not qualify for a grant because of your income/savings or would like to know how much you would be expected to contribute you can contact Environmental Health to ask for a preliminary means test to be carried out (contact details on sidebar).


  • You will need to make sure that any building regulation approval or planning permission has been granted before you start work.
  • You will not get any grant if you have started work before we have approved your application.
  • You must submit your application at the earliest opportunity.
  • You will be notified, in writing, within six months of receipt of your application, whether you have been given a grant.

How will the disabled facilities grant be paid?

We may pay the grant in instalments as the work progresses or once all the work has been completed.

Your grant will only be paid when we are satisfied that the work has been satisfactorily completed and in accordance with the grant approval.

Grants can only be paid on provision of:

  • an invoice
  • demand
  • receipt

The grant may be paid directly to the contractor or in a form that you can pay them once the work has been completed.

An invoice is not acceptable if it is for work or service provided by the applicant or a member of his or her family.

When work is carried out by the applicant or a relative, only invoices for materials or services that have been bought will be acceptable.

Please contact us for more information.


Apply online

Home improvement grant enquiry (inc disabled facilities grant)

Useful links

Herts Direct - Health and Social Care

Stevenage Borough Council is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Related links

Home improvement grants and loans

Contact details

Environmental Health and Licensing
Daneshill House

01438 242908 / 242916