Housing information and advice - introduction to services

Our Housing Advice Service provides a free impartial and confidential service for people who need help with housing issues. We offer information, advice and practical help to prevent people becoming homeless.

After you have received support from a Housing Advice Officer, you may be transferred over to see a Homeless Officer, who deal with people applying to us as homeless under the law. The law which sets out how we have to deal with the homeless is called the Housing Act (1996) Part VII.

We can provide advice on a variety of problems, including:

Preventing homelessness - we can give you practical advice to either help you stay in your own home, or move to alternative housing in the area.

Rent and mortgage problems - if you have difficulty paying your rent or mortgage, we can offer help and advice. This can include advice on eviction and possession proceedings and help with Court forms.

Increasing your income - You may be entitled to welfare benefit or tax credits - we can help you with the application forms.

Harassment and illegal eviction - If you feel you are being harassed or threatened with eviction by your landlord, get advice and information from us as soon as you can. Your landlord may be committing a criminal offence - know your rights!

Information on private rented housing - We have a lot of information on private rented housing and have good working relationships with many private landlords and letting agents.

Information on Housing Associations - We hold information on many other local social housing providers with homes to rent or to part buy in the area.

If you are eligible for a council home - We can help you find out if you qualify for a council home, explain how the banding system works, and how offers and nominations are made to people on the Housing Register.

Conditions and security of your tenancy - We can let you know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Relationship breakdown or domestic violence - We can give you advice on your housing rights if you have had a relationship breakdown. If there has been domestic violence in your relationship, we can put you in touch with support and advice agencies.

Information on other housing organisations and agencies - We have information on co-operatives, supported housing projects, lodgings and shared housing, night shelters and other agencies involved in housing-related issues.

What to expect from the service

We will always try and respond to telephone calls, emails and online forms as soon as possible. Due to the range of enquiries we deal with, we must prioritise each enquiry against any others we may have.

We accept that as a service provider, we has a social and moral duty to promote equality of opportunity. We will comply with statutory requirements as laid down in the Race Relations Act (1976), the Sex Discrimination Act (1975) and the Disability Discrimination Act (1995).

Our equal opportunities policy aims to ensure that, within the framework of the law, no member of the public receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, marital status, disability, race, religious beliefs, age, sexual orientation or on any other grounds.


If you have a complaint about any part of the Housing Service, you should contact your case worker. If you are not happy with their response and would like to make a formal complaint, please follow our complaints procedure.

Contact details

Housing Advice Service
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242242