When we might consider eviction

If you fail to pay your rent or breach any aspect of your tenancy agreement we have the right to evict you by applying to the court to repossess the property.

The most common ground for eviction is non-payment of rent, although it is possible to be evicted for breaching any other aspect of the tenancy agreement (for example, causing a nuisance).

When we have a Possession Order from the Courts any application to vary the terms of the order or to get a stay of execution must be made to the Court itself.

If you are a Possession Order, you should seek independent legal advice. A solicitor can be contacted directly or the Citizens Advice Bureau can offer free advice.

We will take firm action against those that will not pay. We will seek eviction only as a last resort, courts do evict households with children.

What happens if you are evicted

If you are evicted you will have to find alternative accommodation for yourself and anyone else who is living with you.

The court will tell you the date and time that the bailiff will arrive. A representative from Tenancy Services will also be there. The locks of the house will be changed and any of your belongings that are still there will be cleared.

Stopping the eviction

The earlier you take action or get advice the better.

It is more difficult to make agreements at a late stage. You can apply for the Warrant of Possession to be suspended. The court will then reconsider your case but may not agree to alter the decision.

Please remember, if you are having difficulties paying your rent:

  • speak to a member of our staff
  • get advice, for example, from a Citizens' Advice Bureau; and
  • make an arrangement to make regular payments to reduce arrears.

We have no obligation to re-house those who are evicted for non-payment of rent or for causing nuisance to others.

Related pages

Income and Tenancy Officers

Contact us

Tenancy Services
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242666