A lodger is someone who rents a room in your home but cannot stop you from having access to any part of it.

You have the right to take in a lodger and ask them to pay rent. You should give us their details and tell us when they moved in. You are responsible for making sure that your home does not become overcrowded.

If you take in a lodger it will not affect the rent we charge but it may affect any claims for benefit you are making. If you receive Housing Benefit and you do decide to take in a lodger you should tell the Benefits service. If you receive Income Support, you should tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Related pages

Income and Tenancy Officers

Contact us

Tenancy Services
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242666