Winter weather advice for tenants

Heating or hot water problems

Liberty Group carry out heating and hot water repairs on behalf of the Council. If you have a problem with your central heating, hot water or boiler please visit the Liberty Group website for advice and guidance. If you can't find the answer to your problem you can call them for free on 0800 634 0660.

If you live in a larger block of flats or sheltered housing scheme

Some of our larger blocks of flats and sheltered housing schemes have communal boilers which are serviced and maintained by Orion. If you live in one of these blocks/schemes and have a problem with heating you should call us on 01438 211011.

Out of hours

For out-of-hours heating emergencies, please call us on 01438 314963.

Frozen / burst pipes?

How and when to thaw frozen pipes

It is best to thaw out pipes slowly, by using a hairdryer on its lowest setting, hot water bottles or towels soaked in warm water.  Do not use direct heat as this may cause permanent damage to the pipes and could also lead to a fire in the home.

What to do if you have a burst pipe

Sometimes pipes freezing and thawing can cause them to burst. If this happens, turn off the mains water supply immediately by using the stopcock. This will stop any more water getting into the water pipes. If the burst pipe is on the main water system the rush of water will stop after a short while. You can report a burst pipe by contacting our Customer Service Centre on 0800 112 3444 or 01438 211011. For an emergency outside of the normal working hours please call 01438 314963.

The stopcock is normally located under the kitchen sink and should be turned clockwise – you should check where it is now rather than wait until there are problems.

You should also switch off the electricity supply at the mains if there is any chance of water getting into electrical fittings.

You should turn on all cold water taps to drain the system but do not turn on the hot taps – your hot water cylinder may collapse if the pipes leading to it are frozen.


If you are a council tenant and are experiencing flooding due to heavy rain, please call our Customer Service Centre on 01438 211011. If this occurs outside of normal work hours please call 01438 314963. We will try to provide sand bags to prevent further water getting into your home. We will check electrical supplies to ensure that these are safe.

Home Contents Insurance

We advise all our tenants to take out home contents insurance, the replacement of your belongings can be very costly. See our Home Contents Insurance page for more information.