Cold weather advice for tenants

Information for Council tenants on what to do if you have a frozen / burst pipe or flooding due to heavy rain.

Gas Servicing and Repairs

Information about servicing and repairs to domestic central heating boilers

Reporting Repairs

How to report a repair.

Emergency Repairs

How to report an emergency repair. What to do if you have a gas or major water leak.

Repairs to shared areas

Information on how to report a repair to shared area.

Your responsibility

The areas around your home that you are responsible for and rechargeable repairs

Once you've reported a repair

Information about what will happen once you've reported a repair.

How long repairs take

Find out how long your repair should take.

Making alterations to your home

You have the right to carry out reasonable improvements to your council property, such as fitting a new bathroom suite, replacing kitchen units or building a fireplace. However, you must first ask for consent and you must carry out any work to the guidelines that we give you.

Satisfaction survey

If you've had a repair done recently please feedback and help us improve our service.


Report a Repair

Report a Communal Repair

Online Account Registration

Online Account Login

Contact us

0800 1123444
01438 211011
Fax: 01438 211256

Repairs Centre Manager
Cavendish Road

Customer Service Centre

Telephone between 8am to 6pm
Walk-In between 8.30am to 5.30pm (public access)