Winter Weather

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)


How will the Council determine what works are carried out to my home?

A survey will have been completed to the whole property; this may have been recent, a few years ago or before you moved in. The results of the survey will be compared to the decent homes standard. This will determine the extent of work to your home. If surveyors were not able to gain access to your property, they will have cloned survey data from a similar property within your area. Not all homes will need work.

Back to top

Why is my neighbour having work and I am not?

Because each property has had different work carried out over the years, which may be repairs, renewals or upgrades of various fittings or parts, your home will be different from your neighbours even if you think it is the same. The work that is carried out in each property will depend on the outcome of the surveys.

Back to top

How will I know exactly when my home will be improved?

Before any improvements are carried out to your home you will receive a letter from us telling you about what work is likely to be carried out, and who the contractor is who will be working in your home.

When the appointed contractor is ready to start work, you will be contacted to arrange an initial visit. At this visit a detailed survey will take place to identify and confirm exactly what improvements are needed.

A Resident Liaison Officer will keep you informed of proposed works and liaise with you before, during and after the works.

Back to top

How long will the work take?

A Resident Liaison Officer will visit you before the work starts and will let you know how long it is likely to take. They will keep you updated about when key phases will be completed.

Back to top

Will I have to clear furniture myself?

This will depend on what work you are having, however you can help us take the best possible care of your belongings by taking some simple precautions. It makes sense to put away fragile or valuable items and remove things from the walls to save them getting knocked. Your Resident Liaison Officer will discuss this in more detail when they visit you before the work starts.

We always use dust sheets when working in your home to protect floor coverings and furniture that has not been removed.

Back to top

Will I receive a decorating allowance once works are complete?

When a property has had a full electrical re-wire or a full central heating system fitted we will provide a decorating voucher to use in Johnstone’s Decorating Centre, Gunnels Wood Trade Park, Stevenage. The decorating pack will be available to be collected or delivered to your home. Our project surveyors will survey your property after the work has been completed to say whether you will be entitled to the decorating voucher.

Back to top

What can I get with the decorating voucher?

The voucher allows you to collect a pack of decorating materials. This includes items such as interior paints, wallpapers and pastes, brushes, sandpaper, fillers. Items may be different depending on the room that is to be decorated. You will have this information on the letter you receive with the voucher.

Back to top

When do I have to use the voucher by?

The decorating voucher should be used by the expiry date on the voucher; this is usually around 3 months. If you have an issue with using the voucher within this time frame, please advise us on 01438 242666 Investment Team or email

Back to top

Who can collect the decorating pack?

The person whose name and address is on the voucher must be present when collecting the decorating pack. You will need proof of ID and your voucher letter. Orders to be delivered will be arranged with you and must be signed for. You will need to provide proof of your address by showing your tenancy agreement or utility bill.  If after the second attempt delivery cannot be made, your order will be available to collect at the Stevenage Decorating Centre in Gunnels Wood Road..

Back to top

Where can I get further information?

If you have any further questions about any of our major works programmes, please email us at or call our Customer Service Centre on 01438 242666.

Back to top

Contact us

Asset Management team
Daneshill House

01438 242666