Help with paying your rent

Universal Credit

If you need to make a claim for Universal Credit, here is some information that may help you prepare. Universal Credit is a monthly payment that replaces the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time. You may be able to claim Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or out of work.
It is paid differently from other benefits. It will be paid once a month (a single payment for your household), usually into your bank, building society or credit union account. You will have an online Universal Credit account to make and manage your claim. You will use this account to report changes, send messages to your work coach and get help and support.

You might have to wait up to five weeks for your first payment.

For more information visit the website or contact Stevenage Jobcentre Plus on telephone number : 0345 604 3719.  If you would like to discuss this further, please contact us on 01438 242666 or email us on

Housing Benefit

If you need help paying your rent you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. The Benefits Service will help tenants to claim any available assistance with paying their rent. To find out more about Housing Benefit, use the link below:

Financial advice

Free and independent rent, money and benefits advice are available from Stevenage Borough Council's Housing Advice Service (01438 242242) and Stevenage Citizens' Advice Bureau 08444 111 444 (Advice line) or 01438 344238 (Appointments 24 Hour).

Your income advisor may also be able to give you advice and assistance on paying your rent.


Sign up to view your rent account online

Log in to view your rent account online


Direct Debit Mandate

Related pages

Income and Tenancy Officers

Contact us

Daneshill House
01438 242666