Gas Safe Advice

As a leaseholder you are legally responsible for making sure that all the gas appliances in your home are serviced and inspected annually. The work must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you sublet your home

Leaseholders who sublet their home have additional responsibilities under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. This means you must:

  • Make sure gas appliances, pipe work and flues are in a safe condition.
  • Keep records of safety checks for at least two years.
  • Make sure your tenant is given a copy of the landlord's gas safety record (CP12) within 28 days of the inspection. Please also send us a copy of your certificate.
  • Make sure new tenants receive copies of the most recent landlord's gas safety record before they move in.

You should also show your tenant(s) how they can turn off the gas supply in the event of a leak.

Installing new equipment

If a new boiler / heating system needs to be installed or replacement / relocation of the flue needs to be done the work must be carried out by Gas Safe registered engineer and they must be part of a competent person scheme. You will also need building regulations, visit the website for further information. Please also contact us to find out what information we require.

Once the works are finished and we have inspected them we will then issue a formal landlord’s consent certificate. There is a charge of £100 for the inspection and administration costs which can be paid by cheque, made payable to Stevenage Borough Council (please send this the Home Ownership Services team) or the charge can be added to your service charge account.

Contact us

Home Ownership Services Team (HOST)
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242236