Temporary and Emergency Accommodation

Supporting you to live in temporary and emergency accommodation

The tenancy support team manages temporary and emergency accommodation. There are two types of homeless accommodation, the first type is called stage one or emergency accommodation, and the second type is called stage 2 or second stage accommodation.

  • When we receive a referral from your homeless officer requesting accommodation for you, we will allocate a property usually in stage one. This type of accommodation may have shared facilities, for example, kitchen or bathroom or both.
  • Stage two accommodation is usually self-contained, this is where you do not have to share facilities, and you will remain here until permanent housing has been secured. Your tenancy support advisor will keep you informed of progress and of the average wait time of accommodation.

For both types of accommodation, you will sign an agreement which will be explained to you at the time of the letting. You will also be asked for photo identification and will be allocated a named tenancy support advisor.

Permanent housing is in short supply and we hold a list of all those waiting for Social Housing. Housing can be through a:

  • council property
  • housing association property; or
  • a tenancy in the private sector

The support we offer you

We are a housing related support service which aims to help people to live independently by giving them support when they need it the most. The services provide practical advice, support and assistance for people in all types of households.

Clients who contact the service will have a named tenancy support advisor who will visit on an agreed basis to help solve their housing related problems for example:

  • We provide assistance to those wishing to move to sheltered housing
  • We help you find the right support with managing your income
  • We can give advice on setting up home
  • We can support you into learning, education and employment/apprenticeships

How much do I pay?

Accommodation is not free. The amount you pay depends on the size of the property and the services you receive, for example heating and hot water. Details of the rent and any service charges will be given to you when you meet your tenancy support advisor. You are responsible for making regular payments to your account.

Housing Benefit

If you receive a benefit or are on a low income you may need help with paying for your accommodation. You may be able to apply for Housing Benefit to help pay for rented accommodation, but this will not pay for any gas or electricity charges.


It is not normally possible to take pets into temporary accommodation, except for Guide Dogs. If possible, you should arrange for your pets to be temporarily looked after by friends or family, or at a kennel or cattery.

How long can you expect to stay in temporary accommodation?

Once we have your referral we will work as quickly as possible. You can help by supplying us with complete and accurate information at the time of your application.

If an investigation shows that we have a housing duty towards you, you may have to remain in temporary accommodation until you have gained enough time points to successfully bid for a permanent home.

Furniture and other goods

It may not be possible for you to take all your belongings into temporary accommodation with you; you will need to arrange for storage.


Customer Account (Council tenants only)

Related pages

Housing / Council Tax Benefit

Contact us

Tenancy Support Team
Daneshill House

01438 242666