Compliments and complaints


As a result of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) epidemic, some of our officers will be providing support to our most vulnerable residents so this may mean your response is later than we would wish.  Please bear with us during this time.

We are always trying to improve the services we provide to the community and do our best to provide quality services to our customers by treating them with care, respect and honesty.

Complaints can be made about any aspect of our services, including those caused by discrimination on the grounds of race, gender, disability, age or sexual orientation. We would like to ensure fair treatment and equal access to services and employment.

If you have something to say about the services we provide, please let us know. Any feedback from customers will help us to make further improvements to the services we provide.

What is a Complaint?

If you are not satisfied with a response that you received from an enquiry made to a service within the Council, you may feel that you wish to make a complaint. 

A complaint is when:

  • We have failed to do something we should have done
  • We have done something badly or in the wrong way
  • You feel that you have been treated unfairly or discourteously.

Customer Complaints Procedure

Service failure complaints should be directed to the service provider in the first instance. However, if you are dissatisfied with the response, you can contact the Customer Service Centre to make a formal complaint through the Council’s Complaint Procedure. Alternatively you can click on the ‘Online reporting’ link top right of this page, email or write to us at Daneshill House, Danstrete, Stevenage SG1 1HN.

There are 3 stages to the procedure.

Stage 1
You can contact us with the details of your complaint and we will record a formal complaint at Stage 1 of the council’s complaint procedure and acknowledge the complaint within 2 working days of receipt (unless the complaint was taken over the phone). You should receive a reply within 10 working days. Your complaint will be responded to by the Service Manager.

Stage 2
If you are not satisfied with the Stage 1 reply, you should contact us to refer your complaint to Stage 2 of the complaint procedure. We will acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days of receipt (unless the complaint was taken over the phone). You should receive a reply within 15 working days.  Your complaint will be responded to by the Assistant Director.

Stage 3
Within 4 weeks of receiving the Stage 2 reply, if you are still dissatisfied with the Council’s response to your complaint, you can contact us to make a Stage 3 complaint. We will acknowledge your Stage 3 complaint (unless the complaint was taken over the phone) and refer it to an independent Assistant Director, who will reply to you within 20 working days.

Further advice or assistance

Once you have been through all of the stages of the complaints procedure and you are still dissatisfied you can appeal to the Local Government Ombudsman, or the Housing Ombudsman for Housing related issues.

Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman investigates complaints of injustice arising from maladministration by Local Government and certain other bodies. The Ombudsmen can investigate complaints about how the council has done something. But they cannot question what a council has done simply because someone does not agree with it.

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Coventry CV4 0EH
Tel: 0845 602 1983 or 0300 0610614 

Or you can visit the Local Government Ombudsman’s website at

Housing Ombudsman

The Localism Act 2011 introduced changes to the Housing complaints process from 1 April 2013.  You can now contact a designated person to consider your complaint when you have reached the end of our process. Designated persons are impartial and they will try to resolve local housing issues.

Who is a designated person?

  • Any Stevenage Borough Councillor
  • Any MP in the country
  • A Tenant Panel - Stevenage Borough Council does not currently have a tenant panel. We would support tenants who wish to form one.

What can they do?

A designated person will try to resolve your issues with us.  If they are unable to do this, they will advise you that there is nothing further we can do for you or refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

Contacting the Housing Ombudsman directly

If you do not wish to go through a designated person, you may contact the Housing Ombudsman yourself.  You have to wait 8 weeks from the date of your Stage 3 complaint response before the Housing Ombudsman will consider your case.

The easiest way to contact the Housing Ombudsman is by completing an online form.  You can find the form on their website at the below address:

If you do not have access to the internet, you can write to the Housing Ombudsman about your issues:

Housing Ombudsman Service
PO Box 152
L33 7WQ

Telephone: 0300 111 3000
Fax: 0207 831 1942

Citizens Advice Bureau
You may also like to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for general help and advice:

Telephone the Citizens Advice Bureau on 08444 111 444

If you think you have suffered racial discrimination or harassment, you can contact the Equality and Human Rights Commission:

3 More London Riverside
Tooley Street
Tel: 0845 604 6610

Local Ward Councillor

At any time during this process you may refer your complaint to your local ward councillor and it will be dealt with in line with the Council’s complaint procedure. If you do not know who your local councillor is, the Customer Service Centre will be able to help you, alternatively you can find out by clicking on the link to the right of this page 'Ward councillors'.

Online reporting

Comment, compliment and complaint form

Related pages

Ward Councillors

Contact details

Customer Service Centre
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

Telephone: 01438 242242
Textphone: 01438 242555

Opening Hours

Telephone enquiries:
Monday to Friday
8am - 6pm

Visit in Person:
Monday to Friday
8:30am - 5:30pm