Council Tax Forms

We will use the information you give on these forms, and in any supporting evidence you send us, to process and calculate your council tax. We will normally keep your records for up to seven financial years, and then they will be destroyed securely.

We may pass the information to other agencies or organisations such as the HM Revenues and Customs, as allowed by law.

We may check information you have provided, or information about you that someone else has provided, with other information we hold. We may also get information about you from certain third parties, or give them information, to:

  • Make sure the information is accurate, and
  • Prevent or detect crime, and 
  • Protect public funds.

These third parties include government departments, local authorities and private-sector companies such as banks and organisations that may lend you money.

We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless the law allows us to.

The Council is the data controller for the purpose of the Data Protection Act. If you want to know more about what information we have about you, or the way we use it, please ask us.

Below are a number of online forms to make is easy for you to apply for a discount on your Council Tax.

Council Tax Direct Debit
Fill in a Direct Debit online to pay your Council Tax by Monthly instalments.

Council Tax support application form
Use this form to apply for a Council Tax reduction.

Change of Address (moving in / out)

Council Tax Information form
Use this form to let us know if your circumstances have changed

Form of Authority (Council Tax)
Fill in this form and return it to us if you would like us to talk or write to somebody else on your behalf.

Apply for a discount or reduction in your Council Tax

If you wish to apply for a discount and a form isn't listed here please contact us using the details on the right.

Reduction due to a Disability
You may be able to get your bill reduced if your home has certain features which are essential, or of major importance, to the well-being of a person with a disability, whether an adult or child, who is resident in the dwelling.

Single Person Discount
If you're the only person aged 18 years or older living at a property you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill.

Disregarded for Discount Purposes

A person who is learning a trade, business, undertaking a programme of training etc

School or College leavers (under 20s)
18 and 19 year olds, who are at, or just left school and still in receipt of child benefit.

Severe Mental Impairment
If a person living at a property is classed as severely mentally impaired, and they live with other people, that person is disregarded from Council Tax.

Foreign Language Assistants
Foreign language assistants registered with the British Council.

Youth Training Trainee
A Council Tax discount can be applied for if a person is carrying out training according to an individual training plan under the Employment and Training Act 1973 and are under 25 years of age. People on Employment Training Schemes are not classed as being youth training trainees.

Patients who are resident in hospital
If your main or sole residence is in a hospital where you are receiving care or treatment.

Patient in Nursing or Care Homes
People living in residential care homes, nursing homes, mental nursing homes and hostels providing a high level of care are disregarded for Council Tax purposes, as long as it is their only or main home.

Professional Carer
If you provide care or support for a disabled person for at least 24 hours per week and receive less than £44 per week you may be entitled to a Council Tax discount. 

Relative or Unpaid Carer
If you are resident in the property and provide care for a person with a disability who is receiving certain allowances or disability pensions please use the link above to claim Council Tax discount.

Person in detention
A person can be disregarded for Council Tax purposes if they are detained in a prison, hospital or any other place under a court order. For more information and to apply use the link above.

Students and Student Nurses
If you're a Student or a Student Nurse you may be entitled to a discount on your Council Tax.

Attachment of Earnings

Guide for Employers - Attachment of Earnings Order

Schedule 4 - Deductions to be made under Attachment of Earnings Order


Contact details

East Herts and Stevenage Borough Council
Pegs Lane
SG13 8EQ

01438 242875