Council tax - band enquiries and reductions

You have to pay Council Tax for most homes. We send one bill to each home, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether you own it or are renting it.

The Valuation Office has put each home into one of eight ‘bands’ depending on its value on 1 April 1991.

Valuation Band Range of Values

A Up to and including £40,000 E £88,001 to £120,000
B £40,001 to £52,000 F £120,001 to £160,000
C £52,001 to £68,000 G £160,001 to £320,000
D £68,001 to £88,000  H More than £320,000

If you don't know which band your property is in you can check by using this link


Your Council Tax bill is based on the valuation band your home is in. You can appeal against the band on your home if you have just moved in or if you think there has been a material reduction in the value of the property.

You must appeal within six months of moving in. If you want more details about the bands, or details of how to appeal against the band for your home, please contact the Valuation Office using the details on the right.

If you decide to appeal against your council tax band you must continue to pay your bill. If you are having problems with payment contact the council to discuss payment options.

Disabled band reduction scheme

The disabled band reduction scheme aims to ensure that disabled people do not pay more Council Tax because they live in a larger property than they would have needed if they were not disabled. Having a disability does not automatically entitle you to a reduction.

See the links on the right for more information.

Useful links

Disabled band reduction scheme

Valuation Office Agency

Contact details

For banding enquiries please contact:

Listing Officer
Council Tax East
Valuation Office Agency
Ground Floor
Ferrers House
Castle Meadow Road
NG2 1AB 

03000 501501