Council Tax Banding

Please be aware that there are currently companies contacting Stevenage residents advising them that they could be entitled to a reduction in their council tax band. They are offering to make an appeal to the Valuation Office Agency for a non-refundable administration fee and if successful will want a fee of 20% of any band reduction obtained.

All customers can do this themselves for free. You can check and query your banding with the Valuation Office Agency and if the band is incorrect they can make an amend the banding.

Council Tax Appeals

If you believe the Council Tax Banding of your property is incorrect you have the right to appeal.

You must continue to pay your Council Tax as billed while awaiting the outcome of any appeal.

How to Appeal against a Council Tax Band

The Council Tax (Alterations of Lists and Appeals) came into force on 1st April 1993 and there was a period of six months for residents, owner-occupiers and owners to appeal against their bands. After six months there is no further appeal unless there is a change of ownership in the property and the new owner has that right of appeal.

You will need to make a statement in writing or online via their website to the Listing Officer at the Valuation Offfice Agency explaining why you feel your property banding is now considered inaccurate, for example, if you believe there has been a material decrease in the value of your property. The definition of material decrease includes any change in the physical state of your dwelling's location.