Benefits - New Claim

If you are unfamiliar with the process for claiming Housing benefit or Council Tax support, or would like more information, we suggest that you contact us.

Universal Credit

For those who are eligible to apply for Universal Credit, you will no longer need to put in a separate application for Housing Benefit, however you will need to apply for any Council Tax Support separately (you can apply online or download an application form). For more information on Universal Credit and who is eligible to apply, please click here.  

How to claim

You will need to complete a Housing Benefit and Council Tax support application form. The form can either be filled in online or you can download a copy.

The completed application form will need to be sent to the Council offices.

Please remember to include all of the required evidence when sending us your application form. All documents must be originals, copies will not be accepted.

No benefit will be paid until all the required evidence has been received.

What happens next?

Once your application has been assessed you will receive a decision notice. The decision notice will confirm that you qualify for benefit and how much you will receive.

If your application for Housing / Council Tax benefit is turned down you can appeal against the decision.

Payment of your Housing benefit

If you are a Council Tenant your benefit is paid directly into your rent account.

If you are not a Council Tenant your benefit is normally paid into your bank account  At your request, we can pay your benefit directly to your landlord.

If you ask for payments to be made to you and you fall behind with paying your rent by eight weeks or more, your landlord can ask us to pay your housing benefit directly to them.

Payment of your Council Tax benefit

Council Tax benefit will be shown as a reduction on your Council Tax bill.



Housing Benefit / Council Tax support claim form

Housing Benefit / Council Tax support enquiry form


Housing benefit and Council Tax support application form

Related pages


Contact details

Stevenage Borough Council
Benefits Service
Daneshill House

Telephone: 01438 242440
Textphone: 01438 242555