When you made a claim for housing or council tax benefit you signed a declaration that said you would let us know in writing about any change of circumstance for you or anyone living with you that could affect your claim. This page explains what you should do if you think there has been a change of circumstance in your home.
Why you need to complete and return the change of circumstances form
The law says you must tell us about any change of circumstance immediately. Please fill in a change of circumstances form (available for download on the right) and send it back to us with any proofs that you may have, you can contact us at the address below and ask for a copy to be posted to you or you can complete an online enquiry form.
Please make sure that you complete ALL the questions.
We need to know...
...about any change of circumstance, for example:
- if you move home;
- if someone moves in or out;
- if your income changes;
- if your rent changes;
- if you qualify for another benefit;
- if you stop getting Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance;
- if anyone living in your home has a change of circumstance.
This is not a full list. If you are not sure whether to tell us something, just ask us.
Any delay in telling us could seriously affect your benefit and you may have to repay any overpaid benefits and any increase in benefit would not start until the date you tell us, not the date it happened.
We will need proof of any change. For example:
- a letter from your landlord telling you of a change in your rent or a new tenancy agreement;
- your latest payslips or pension slips to show the new amount you get as wages, pension or pension credit;
- a letter from the Department of Works and Pensions or Inland Revenue showing changes in your allowances or tax credits;
- a letter from the Benefits Agency showing changes in your benefits.
We also need the same sort of proof of changes for other people who live with you.
If you cannot get proof immediately, send the form and any documents you do have now and send any other proofs as soon as you can. Original documents, not copies, must be supplied. Either deliver the documents and form by hand, or send them to us. We will return any valuable documents to you by recorded delivery.