Benefits - Student Claims

If you are a student you may be able to make a Housing Benefit and Council Tax support claim.

A student is anyone attending a study course at an educational establishment. This means studies at all levels including school-based study; full or part-time students; students receiving loans; and courses at a state or private college.

Council tax exemptions

If you are a full time student, you may be exempt from Council Tax even if you would otherwise be liable to pay it.

If you are a full-time student and you live in a property with somebody else who is solely liable for Council Tax, they can claim a 25% reduction in the Council Tax. This is called Second Adult Rebate.

Students can claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax support if you fall into one of the categories listed below:

  • receiving Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance;
  • part-time students;
  • under 19 and on a course up to A-level standard;
  • aged 60 and over;
  • responsible for a child or young person (ie receiving Child Benefit);
  • responsible for a foster child;
  • responsible for children boarded with a local authority or voluntary organisation;
  • receiving certain disability benefits;
  • receiving a grant assessment allowance for deafness, even if you only get grant fees.

Students' partners who are not students themselves may claim benefit for the couple.

Overseas student

If you are from abroad, you should ask us about possible help with rent and Council Tax payments. There is no automatic right to benefit for overseas students - it will depend on your particular circumstances.

How to claim

For information about applying for Housing Benefit and Council Tax support and to download a claim form see the links to the right.

Alternatively you can contact us using the methods listed on the right.


Housing Benefit / Council Tax support claim form

Housing Benefit / Council Tax support enquiry form


Housing benefit and Council Tax support application form

Related pages

Council tax exemptions

How to claim housing council tax support

Contact details

Customer Service Centre
Daneshill House

Telephone enquiries: Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm
Visit in person: Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm

Benefit Enquiries
01438 242440

Council Tax Enquiries
01438 242875