Winter Weather

Dog warden service

The council enforces dog fouling and dog nuisance legislation and deals with stray dogs

Our responsibilities

  • We investigate complaints about dog nuisance including complaints about dog fouling in gardens, straying and barking.
  • Complaints about excessive dog barking are dealt with by Environmental Health Officers (see Dealing with domestic noise problems).
  • We collect an average of 100 stray dogs per year, the vast majority of which are returned to their owners or are rehomed.
  • Dangerous dogs are a police matter.
  • Dog fouling in the street is dealt with by our environmental enforcement officers.


Since 6 April 2016, every dog that is older than 8 weeks must be microchipped. The requirement should help to reduce the number of stray dogs that need to be taken to our kennels and potentially re-homed or even put down because the owner cannot be found.

It is an offence not to have your dog microchipped and you can be fined up to £500 if you don’t comply with the legislation. But remember, even though your dog is microchipped, you must still ensure that it is provided with a collar and tag bearing the name and address of the owner. Failure to do so is an offence and you can be fined up to £5,000 if your dog is in a public place without this information.

Fees & charges

A charge will be made before returning a stray dog.


Local authorities, the RSPCA and animal rescue centres rehome thousands of unwanted dogs and puppies every year. Neutering is a good way to help solve this problem. The RSPCA strongly recommends that neutering be carried out at an early age. This is a straightforward operation, carried out under general anaesthetic, by a vet. Another benefit is that a neutered male is likely to be less aggressive and a neutered female won’t attract unwanted visiting dogs to her owner’s front door! For an indication of cost, please contact your local vet.

Your local RSPCA may be able to offer some help with vets’ bills, neutering and microchipping. For further information, call the enquiries service at RSPCA headquarters on 0300 1234 555.

Who can receive assistance on dog-related issues?

anyone who:

  • is a Stevenage resident
  • works in Stevenage
  • visits the town

What can I expect from the service?

Your enquiry will be treated in confidence.

Your enquiry will be referred to the Animal Control Team or an Environmental Health Officer who will contact you within the following times:

  • In the case of a stray dog which you have confined we aim to visit within 2 hours 
  • In all other cases, you will be contacted within a maximum of 4 working days of receipt of your enquiry.

You will be contacted to discuss the problem and advise you as to what action can be taken. The problem will be investigated and any appropriate action will be taken.

We will contact you when the investigation is complete to advise you what has been done and confirm that you are satisfied with the way in which your enquiry has been handled.

All council staff are easily recognisable either by their uniform, personal name badges or personal identification card. Always make sure that any visitors are who they say they are. If you are in any doubt do not let them into your home.

How can I arrange to use this service?

If you need assistance please contact us.



Dog Warden Service form

Related pages

Environmental Health & Licensing Fees and Charges

Useful links

DEFRA  - Animal Health and Welfare information


Contact details

Environmental Health & Licensing
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House
Herts, SG1 1HN

01438 242908 / 242916