Animal welfare FAQs

I've lost my dog - what do I do?

Call the councils contractor, SDK Environmental Ltd on 03444 828 346. You also contact local Vets.

Details of dogs collected by our contractor are available on the Found Dog website.

I have found a dog - what should I do?

If you find a stray dog, try to return it to its owner if you can. If you can't do this, please go to our page on stray animals for detailed information on what to do.

Note - it is a legal requirement that all dogs in a public place must wear a collar with a tag giving details of the owner's name and address. Failure to comply with this order could result in a prosecution with a maximum penalty upon conviction of £5000. The Animal Control team will consider taking action against an owner who persistently allows his/her dog to stray.

Since 6 April 2016 all dogs must be microchipped, your local vet may be able to scan the dog to see if it is microchipped and contact the owner.

There is an injured bird in my garden what should I do?

Our general advice would be to leave it alone. If it is a baby bird the parents will be near by and will tend to it. If the parents do not come to it, you should ring the RSPCA to take it to a rescue centre until it can fly properly or alternatively contact your local Vet practice.

Call the RSPCA on 08705 555999 for more information.

I think that my neighbour is mistreating his/her pet – what shall I do?

Call the RSPCA on 08705 555999

I/my dog has been attacked/bitten - can you help me?

The Police are responsible for the investigation of complaints where a dog has attacked a person or put them in fear.

Useful links

DEFRA  - Animal Health and Welfare information


Related pages

Stray Animals

Contact details

Animal Health team
Environmental Health & Licensing
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House
Herts, SG1 1HN

01438 242908 / 242916