As a result of the Local Government Act 2000, the role of councillors has changed with the introduction of an executive/scrutiny system. The council is run on a system similar to that at central government, with an executive to make major policies and councillors to scrutinise or examine these decisions in detail.

What do Councillors do?

Your councillor is the person elected every 4 years to represent your area.

They can help if you are dissatisfied with a council service by advising or directing you to someone who can help sort out your problem and can sometimes progress the case on your behalf. This is often done in advice surgeries where you can meet with the councillor for your ward and discuss your problem.

As community leaders they put forward proposals to improve their ward, which may include bringing together different community groups to develop a case for change.

Who is my Councillor?

If you are unsure about which ward you live in, and would like to know who your local councillor is, please use our online search facility to find out.

Who is my Councillor?

Members' Allowances

Stevenage Borough Council has made the following Members’ Allowances scheme under the Local Government Act 2000 and the Local Authorities (Member’s Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003.

Members' Allowance Scheme

In accordance with the Local Authority's (Members' Allowances) (England) Regulation 15, details of the total sum paid to each recipient made under the Stevenage Borough Council Scheme for Members' Allowances in respect of the Basic Allowance, Special Allowance; and Co-optees' Allowance is available for download below, or from the Council's Main Reception at Daneshill House.

Related pages

Members' Allowance Scheme

Useful links

Who's my Councillor

Contact details

Members Services
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242278