100 days since Armistice


Stevenage is a relatively low risk area for serious flooding.  However, weather conditions are monitored constantly and in the event of flood risk conditions developing, an advance warning is given to the local authority and emergency services by the Environment Agency and/or the Met Office. Flood warnings and severe weather warnings can be viewed on the Environment Agency and Met Office websites.

To find out if you could be living in a flood risk area, use the link on the right to find out the latest information on the Environment Agency’s website. If you are shown to be at risk of flooding, make sure you are up to date with the latest flood advice available from either the Environment Agency’s Floodline service (0845 988 1188) or their website and what you can do to prepare. Use the ‘General flood information’ link on the right  and click on ‘Prepare for a flood and get help during and after’.

The following notes give guidance on who to contact for various types of flooding. If you are a council tenant please also use the link below for specific information and advice.

Flooding from private sewers or drains

If your private drains or sewers are overflowing, you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage. Your private drain is generally the drain that serves your property only whereas a drain shared by several properties is generally maintained as a public sewer by the water company. If you are uncertain if a blockage is in the public or private sewers, Thames Water should, in the first instance, be able to give you relevant advice. You can contact them at www.thameswater.co.uk or alternatively on 0845 9200800.

Flooding from public sewers

The water company owns and manages the network of public foul and surface water sewers. To report an overflowing public sewer, call Thames Water Customer Services on 0845 9200800 or visit www.thameswater.co.uk

Flooding from the public highway

The Highway Authority; Hertfordshire County Council, is responsible for the routine cleansing of road gullies as well as the emergency clearance of highway ditches, gullies and drains at times of flooding. To report flooding from the public highway, blocked road gullies or gratings, contact Hertfordshire County Council on 0300 1234047. Stevenage Borough Council is responsible for the drainage of the roads and pedestrian areas within the town centre and for flooding on areas of land in the Council’s ownership and this can be reported through to engineers@stevenage.gov.uk

Flooding from a burst water main

The local water supply company is Affinity. The water company is responsible for supply of water up to and including the water stopcock. This should be reported to them via their website or call: 0345 3572407.

Flooding from a water service pipe or internal pipework

This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber.

Flooding from a main river

The main rivers are the responsibility of the Environment Agency, on 03708 506 506. In addition, the Agency operates a "Floodline" on 0845 988 1188.  The "Floodline" is a 24 hour advice and information service for floods and flood warnings . If your property is in an area at risk of flooding from a nearby river, you are advised to register for flood alerts.

Flooding from watercourses, other than main rivers

Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian owners. You may be the riparian owner if your property or land is on, or very near to, a watercourse. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow. The local authority can serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions. Certain "strategic" watercourses, that are known to pose a high risk of property flooding if they become blocked, are checked and maintained by our contractor on a regular basis.


The responsibility to protect property is that of the occupant. Given the low risk of flooding across the borough, our policy is to not supply sandbags. Residents who are aware that their homes are at a high risk of flooding, eg. because their property is situated in a low spot or as a result of the close proximity of a watercourse, are recommended to obtain sandbags from a builders' merchant to enable early preparation.

The ‘General flood information’ link on the right leads to guidance on how to make a personal flood plan and how to use sandbags properly. The leaflet about sandbag use can be found by using this link : GOV.UK: how to use sandbags.

Useful links

The Met Office

General flood information

Environment Agency - Flood Warnings

Flood Warning Sign-up

Thames Water

Affinity Water

Affinity Water - report a leak

Herts Highways - fault reporting

Routine contact

During office hours please call the Customer Service Centre on 01438 242242

Contact in an emergency

During a major incident the latest emergency information will be posted on our website and updated regularly. Our Customer Services Team will also be able to provide  information by telephone: 01438 242242
Out-of-office hours our emergency contact number is: 01438 314963. However, remember that the emergency services or utility company should be the first call in an emergency requiring their services.