Prior notification (agricultural or forestry development)

In certain cases you will need to apply to us about your plans for certain agricultural and forestry developments which are permitted under Part 6 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015.

We have 28 days in which to let you know of a decision whether a full application is required, or inform you of our decision to allow or refuse approval.

A prior notification form should be submitted for the following types of proposed development:

  1. Relating to agricultural units of five hectares or more
    • Building significant extension or significant alteration of a building;
    • Formation or alteration to a private way;
    • Carrying out of certain excavations and waste disposal;
    • Place or assembly of a tank or cage for use in fish farming in waters on forestry land (i) and (ii);
    • Proposed road;
    • Proposed excavation/deposit of waste;
    • Building a fish tank.

You must apply to us in advance for a decision as to whether our prior approval is required.

  1. Examples of when planning permission will be required include:
    • Development not reasonably necessary for the purposes of agriculture / forestry on the holding (The keeping or rearing of horses, unless for working the land, is not agriculture);
    • Development on land which is not currently used in connection with an agricultural business, for example hobby farming;
    • Development not designed for the purpose of agriculture, for example, railway carriages or lorry containers;
    • Development on an agricultural holding of less than 0.4 hectares;
    • Development on separate parcels of land of less than one hectare of five hectares or more, or 0.4 hectares on units less than five hectares;
    • Agricultural buildings of more than 465 square metres in area (calculated to include all other development within 90 metres of the site which has been carried out within the preceding two years);
    • Buildings or excavations for livestock or slurry storage within 400 metres of a protected building (most non-agricultural buildings);
    • Agricultural development more than 12 metres in height;
    • Excavation or engineering operations connected with fish farming.

If is often helpful to discuss your proposal with us before you submit your application. You can do this through our pre-application service.

Application forms and guidance

You can apply online at the National Planning Portal or you can download the relevant application forms below:

A proposed building

A proposed road

A proposed fish tank (cage)

Excavation and waste materials

Please make sure you submit one original copy of the application form, together with one original copy of the plans and supporting information to us. You can also pay for your application by cheque, credit or debit card. For more information on this service, please visit our planning application fees and how to pay page.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download these documents. If you don’t have it you can download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free.