100 days since Armistice

Advertisement consent

If you are thinking of displaying an advertisement on your property, you may need to apply to us for advertisement consent. This is because if the advertisement you wish to display is bigger than 0.3 square metres (or any size if illuminated) on the front of, or outside your property, whether it is a house or a business premises, you will need advertisement consent. It is however, unlikely you will need advertisement consent from us for a small sign with your house/building name on it, or even a sign saying ‘Beware of the dog’. However, if you own a Listed Building (either Grade I, II or II*), please seek advice from us before attaching any sign to your building. This is because you may require Listed Building Consent to display the advertisement on your property from us.

In regards to temporary notices which are up to 0.6 square metres relating to local events, such as street parties and concerts, these can be displayed for a short period of time providing they are removed after the event etc. has finished. In regards to estate agent boards, there are different rules for these, but, in general, they should not be bigger than 0.5 square metres in size.

In terms of siting and location of advertisement signage, please ensure that you do not place signs on Highway land or attach it to existing Highway sign or structure without prior consent. This is because the sign/advertisement could have a detrimental impact on the safety and operation of the highway.

The planning regime for larger, professional adverts and signs for businesses is more complex (you may find it useful to seek pre-application first), though all outdoor advertisements must comply with the five standard conditions which are:

  • Be kept in a clean and tidy state;
  • Be kept in a safe condition;
  • Have the permission of the owner of the site on which they are to be displayed (this includes the Highway Authority if the sign is to be placed on highway land);
  • Not to obscure, or hinder the interpretation of, official road, rail, waterway or aircraft signs, or otherwise make hazardous the use of these types of transport;
  • Be removed carefully where so required by the local planning authority.

Please note that where you do not comply with the Advertisement Regulations and/or a sign has been erected where it requires consent from us,  then a criminal offence has been committed and you may be liable to prosecution. It would therefore be in your interest to seek advice from us before putting up your sign if you are unsure with the Regulations. You can access the Advertisement Regulations by visiting the National Planning Portal - Planning Practice Guidance on adverts.

If you wish to submit an application for advertisement consent to us, you can apply online at the National Planning Portal or complete the relevant form below:

When you submit your application form, you will also need to include all the relevant information which can be found on the weblink below:

Please make sure you submit one original copy of the application form, together with one original copy of the plans and supporting information. You can also pay for your application by cheque, credit or debit card. For more information on this service, please visit our planning application fees and how to pay web page.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download the above documents. If you don’t have it you can download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free.

If you have any questions about payment or application fees, please contact our validation team on 01438 242166 or 01438 242838 or by email on planning@stevenage.gov.uk

Contact details

Development Management                                                                                                      Planning and Regulation
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242166 / 242838