Winter Weather

Submitting an application and planning fees

The simplest way to submit a planning application, listed building consent, advertisement, lawful development certificate etc to us is online via the National Planning Portal.

Registering on the Planning Portal is easy and you can complete your application form, upload supporting documents and pay fees via this service.

The benefits of applying online

  • You can work on your application in draft before submitting it to us;
  • Immediate delivery and acknowledgement;
  • Savings on postage and printing costs;
  • Online help function when completing applications;
  • Online record of your completed applications.

If you prefer, you can still complete your application form and submit the supporting documents and relevant fees by post to:

Planning and Regulation
Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

Please note a planning application cannot be progressed until all the necessary supporting information and the appropriate fee is received by us. If we do not receive all the relevant information and the correct fee, your application will be made invalid by us and we will write to you accordingly.


It is important that you provide accurate drawings with sufficient details to illustrate your proposal to us and the general public. These must be to a recognisable scale. There are requirements for what must be submitted as part of your application. These are set out in the National Planning Practice Guidance Notes.


There are a number of different types of development which ranges from an erection of extension to your house, undertaking of mining operations, works to a Listed Building through to the erection of a large scale residential development. It is important that you choose the correct form and fully complete all sections which relevant to you. Application forms are available online but please check with us if you are not sure which form to use. Alternatively, you can download the relative planning application form and send it to us.

Vacant Building Credit

Where a vacant building is brought back into any lawful use, or is to be demolished to be replaced by a new building, the developer will only be offered a financial credit (equivalent to the existing gross floorspace of the relevant vacant building(s)) which will be offset against the affordable housing contribution for the development, where the building(s) has been completely (100%) vacant for a period of 6 months before any application is submitted to the Council. The building(s) cannot be made vacant (e.g. terminating leases of existing tenants) for the sole purpose of redevelopment. 'Abandonment' in this context, follows the interpretation in general planning law, and, depends on factors such as the condition of the building(s), length of non-use, whether there has been an intervening use and evidence of the owner's intentions.

Applicants will need to provide the gross external floor area (GEA) of any vacant building that they wish to claim vacant building credit on, and the proposed building. The GEAs must be signed off by a RICS Chartered Surveyor or RIBA member architect.

Viability Appraisals

For applications with any residential element and which are not Policy compliant, applicants will be required to submit an open book viability appraisal which the Council will publish on its website. The Council may include a clause in any S106 agreement requiring the viability to be reviewed within a defined timeframe.


The fee should be paid at the time the application is submitted. Find out the cost of your application and how to pay on the Planning Application fees and how to apply page.