Larger homes extensions – neighbour consultation scheme

The regulations which allow larger single-storey rear extensions to be built at your house or bungalow came into force on the 30 May 2013 (amended April 2015), depending on whether your house has permitted development rights or not. The decision to allow larger extensions to your property is subject to a neighbour consultation scheme.

What does it mean?

Between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019 you may be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions to your house or bungalow. The size limits will double from the current permitted development regulations which are as follows:

  • Between 4 and 8 metres for detached houses and bungalows;
  • Between 3 and 6 metres from houses and bungalows (terrace and semi-detached).

The responsibility lies on you to apply to us to determine whether you can build a larger extension. When you apply to us, you will need to clearly state who your adjoining neighbours are, under the Larger Home Extensions Notification Scheme, and provide the necessary information which is required. The required information is in the Notification Form at the bottom of this page.

Please Note: You must apply to us before you start works. This process cannot be done retrospectively. Therefore, if you have started the construction of a larger extension without submitting the neighbour consultation scheme to us beforehand, you may be subject to enforcement action. Furthermore, you cannot start the development until you have received notification from us within 42 days that either:

  • Prior approval is not required;
  • Prior approval is required and given; or
  • Prior approval is required and refused.

Is there a time limit?

Yes, any extension permitted in this process must be completed on, or before 30 May 2019. You must notify us as soon as possible in writing of the date the larger extension is completed.

Are there any exemptions?

The permitted development rights for larger extensions do not apply to houses or bungalows which are in a Conservation Area, Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Sites, the Broads, a National Plan, Site of Special Scientific Interest and a World Heritage Site. Furthermore, your permitted development rights attached to your property may have been removed. It is therefore, recommended you contact us before you make an application to ascertain whether or not you have permitted development rights. Our contact details are below:

Duty Planning Officer Telephone - 01438 242159

You can also visit our main offices to speak to a Duty Planning Officer. Please note that our duty planning officer is only available 9am to 1pm on Mondays to Fridays.

How do I apply?

To submit a notification to us, you must complete the following form:

We recommend you include all the necessary information detailed in the Note and Guidance in order to speed up the application process. You will not have to pay a fee when you submit a Neighbour Notification Scheme application to us.

When proposing any change under the new legislation, you are advised to consult the National Planning Portal for guidance.

The advice on this page is an interpretation only and should be read in conjunction and in accordance with Statutory Instrument 2015 No. 596, Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015. A copy of this Order can be found on the weblink below: